Wednesday, October 15, 2008

FRom Dublin to Liverpool to Dublin to Edinburgh



At the airport the very moment, going to Edinburgh to attend a 2 days basic surgical skill course at the Royal College of Surgeons, starting from tomorrow. It is an essential course for me in order to secure a 6 months job in surgery as part of my training to qualify as a physician in emergency medicine.




After 4 yrs in psychiatry which I found later was not for me, I decided to change speciality. At the beginning I was a bit lost 2 years ago, not exactly knew what I should be doing after leaving psychiatry as I always wanted to do psychiatry during my intern year. I was interested in learning human behavior, their actions and responses to situation. I wanted to know in depth why they behaved in certain way in certain circumstances. I wanted to know what was the line between normal and abnormal. Therefore I signed up for 4 yrs training in psyhiatry with Dublin University Rotational Program attached to Trinity College, a prestigious university in Ireland. During those 4 years I had the privilege working under the supervision of the country's top psychiatrists like Dr. Anne-Marie O'Dwyer , Professor Brian Lawlor and Dr.Conor Farrell. I was also given an opportunity to teach medical students when I was a tutor during my last 6 months in the field. So, why changed? So many reasons. Although I had learned and experienced so many things during the period, i also discovered that i was doing it for wrong reasons. At the end i realised that partly it was for personal gain which nothing to do with psychiatry. From this point my interest slipped down the hill, nearly lost my faith in psychiatry itself. To preserve my insanity i opted out.




"What is next" I wondered. Taking into account my experience in psychiatry i decided to pursue a job as a GP. Along my journey to achieve my initial plan i found emergency medicine. So far, for the past 2 years I have enjoyed it so much (well, most of the time!), and it suits me so well. Having said that, I still have so much to do- study, conferences, courses, researches, audits, teachings - to be fully qualified as a physician in emergency medicine.




This week has been hectic to me. Only yesterday I return from Liverpool after attending a 2 days course in Paediatric Emergency Medicine course at Alder Hey Children's Hospital. It was an intensive course and at the end I was struggling mentally to retain all the life-saving informations and facts. Although most of the time I deal with adult emergency cases, every so often I have to deal with paediatric patients particularly if they are presented with traumatic injuries. For medical problems, they will go directly to a Paediatric team, or in some hospital they have a paediatric emergency team. I have to admit that I have little experience with children/paediatric group, hence the course was quite beneficial for my post.

No comments: