Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween night!

Halloween Night! Afraid, be afraid! I returned to work early this week, doing day shift for a week after being absent for two weeks for a supposed study leave. It has been comparatively quiet at work, strangely. For the past 4 days most of the cases were minor injuries. I can’t remember how many times I had to endure the unpleasant smell from patients’ feet while examining their injured ankles. I don’t know why so many people twisted their ankles this week, and none of them actually had a broken ankle.

Today, there were many patients came in after involving in RTA (road traffic accident). I saw about 5 patients with neck pain from RTA. I was not really surprised with the statistic as it was a very cold day and it was raining making the road icy. One girl who was the driver told me all the sudden her car skidded and spun several time before the car side hit a lamp post. To make matters worse another car hit her car on the other side. Luckily, she only suffered a whiplash. Another pretty girl (yes! She was very pretty....and a drama queen), walked in and started to tell me how her car was hit by another car. “Any pain”, “No, doctor, no pain, perhaps a bit sore here” pointing to the area below her shoulder blade. I pressed the area “Now, any pain here?”, “No, doctor, just a bit uncomfortable”, After series of questions with ‘No’ as the answer, and physical examination was unremarkable, I asked her “Anything that you are concerned about that I probably have missed?”, “No, doctor, I think I am fine, I just want to get checked, I will take neurofen (a painkiller) if I have pain later on” “Sure, come back if you have any problem”....but in my mind “You! Now get out! Waster!”......and I did smile back when she smiled at me while leaving the cubicle...Ahhh, you sweet devil!

Tonight is the Halloween night. I don’t envy at all those who work night shift tonight in A&E. It is going to be a mad night, having to deal with many stupid drunken people with injury related to the Halloween party. I remember the last time I worked on Halloween night last year I couldn’t believe the type of injuries I have to manage. Many with head injuries either from an accidental fall or being hit by someone, all alcohol related. I remember a guy, a non-national, was beaten badly on the head while sitting on the side of a field watching a bonfire. He was kicked and punched without provocation by a group of drunken youths. They also stole his wallet and his shoes. Another fella had a burn on his face after it caught fire when he was throwing gasoline from a bottle to make a bigger bonfire.....great party huh!

I have been invited to two Halloween parties. I really want to go but I have to be at work tomorrow from at 8 am to start my 12 hrs shift a day for 9 days in a row.....well, next year, maybe. I will dress in a French maid uniform. That would be a gas!!!!!!!

1 comment:

HelmiLassim said...

wah sambut halloween night nih...
bang chik pakai je ala ala pochong...
lompat2 la kat situ...
hahaha...